Sunday 17 June 2007

Love to You


Happy Father's Day!
I don't know about the history of this holiday.No matter how it came into being,holidays have long before lost their initial meaning.Today,every holiday is a children's Day,and a shopping week,or even month.It's the father who actually pays for their holiday.

I didn't really prepare for this day,because...it was not until Saturday night that my father phoned me and said that he had arrived home.My mother was about to go for a trip!I harshly called my mother back and bought a cake at Justine's Patisserie,took the subway back in the dark,only to be told that father would be out for business Sunday afternoon.


Speaking of he cake,I must again refer to my bad eating habit.My taste always varies too much from the public,so public reviews for restaurants seldom work for me.Especially backeries and western foods.I find the traditional Asian bakery products--such as dessert bread,light cheesecake disgusting,other unappetising in my list includes the "stylish" mozzarella cheese pizza(this cheese tastes like plastic)and mayonnaise salad(that mess looks terrible).I wonder how my neighbour bakers dare to cut the sugar amount to half or even less of the original recipe written by the westerners when making desserts,just as they wonder how I'd sand the "heaviness"of a New York cheesecake.
The result is I rarely go to local bakeries,this saves no money,instead,I find myself adapt fairly well into 5-star hotels,be it China World Hotel,Grand Hyatt or Jiangguo,whose main targets are foreign visitors.My mother used to say God put me in a wrong place.I said that if I were rich enough,I shall stay in hotel instead of a home.

Unfortunately,my living place is not only not near but rather far from the grand hotel district.I know it's crazy to travel for hours for breads or cakes but...what can I do?

Justine's Patisserie is the gourmet corner of Jiangguo Hotel,which is some hundred metres east to China World Hotel.I am willing to say their cakes are the best,even more additive than Gourmet Corner's breads.I don't understand why his place always seem to be empty and you don't have to have much concern that something is sold out before you arrive.People say it's no to Chinese taste.Anyway,it's good that I don't have to hurry at the half-price time.

Green Tea Cake:

The sponge cake was somewhat dry to me.However,they all love dry cakes,Chinese recipes always say their cake"dry and airy",so my cakes are among the failed ones since they are so moist as if they had been soaked.The flavour was very very pleasing.The green tea flavour was just alright:neither too strong nor light.The chocolate caught my eyes when I decided to take it,but it was something more.I'm no sure what it is exactly,perhaps milk chocolate with black chocolate filling?

Chocolate Mousse:

I highly recommend this!I've never had raspberry before so firstly I swallowed the fruit on top.Oh my God!So sour!I immediately put a spoonful of mousse into mouth and...Qu'est-ce que c'est?!At that moment I truly understand the meaning of"to die for".It's so smooth and airy.You can feel all the glory of good quality chocolate in one bite without being thick and guilty.

Can you see any crust?I thought of this only when almost the whole slice had gone.Examining carefully,I was clear that there was actually a thin to none slice of chocolate cake at the bottom in the centre.Ah~so that explained all--it was more than cake,you can feel that something special in it.Small pieces of chocolate are luxuriously added into the cake,and adhere around the side with the help of chocolate syrup,too!Heavenly perfect!I must take a whole one next time!

Blueberry Cheesecake(head picture):
My heart sunk when I saw it.The berries alone worth the price!Because the only blueberry you can get here is the imported frozen bags,which are almost twice as expensive as cream cheese!It was my first time eating blueberries.They were somewhat sour too but balanced just well coated in syrup.The cake was just what I like:not too sweet and of none-cheese flavour as those in street bakeries.This time I paid attention o the crust,the same style:thin o none and smaller than the cheese top.If only it can hear my saying:"it's my great honour to have you!"
Above all,I doubt if any profit can be made selling these cakes a such prices,I'd kindly advise them double the oringinal price and cancel the discounts,like other hotels on the same grade,if not for my sake.




No comments: