Friday 8 June 2007

Watermelon Mousse with Agar




For me,mousse is a dessert to clean up the left-aways, where the unappetising turn to crusts.This mousse began with my overly sweet cookies made several days ago.


so easy that I gave up my cheesecake experiment after making once.It seems that you can never make it a nightmare.


Agar is made from marine plants,such as marine algae.I don't know how it is used in other cuisine,it is a versatile food when it is softened or dissolved in liquid:I like it in Chinese salads.also,it is one of the most important ingredients of commercially produced puddings and chewing gums.


I guess none-vegans mostly use gelatin to make mousse,nonetheless,I daresay agar is the basic ingredient in instant jelly powder(I never saw such item in stores here,though).Agar has a considerable higher set point,I'm not sure about the precise degree,it set easily today in my kitchen whose temperature was surely higher than 30C.So if you also like it stiffer,try agar instead of gelatin.


Watermelon Mousse:


Ingredients:


juice from 1/4 watermelon


250g cream cheese


400g none-dairy whipping top(of course,heavy cream works better)


25g agar


overly sweet cookies


Method:


1.Over low heat,dissolve agar in watermelon juice.


2.Cream the cheese,gradually pour in watermelon juice,mix well.


3.Whip the cream,fold in the cheese mixture.


4.break cookies too small pieces,place a layer at the bottom of a bowl,pour in some mousse,repeat layers.


You don't need to let it in cool down completely,in fact,mine had already begun to set when fold into the cold topping.


You may have to add some sugar if your cookies are not overly sweet or if your cream is sugar-free.


Agar salad:


Put some agar in lukewarm water(10-20C) for 20 minutes or until softened,add to your salad to make a twist.


No comments: